Self Help for Sexual Health
As you might expect our service is extremely busy during these times. It may be that you can get advice or treatment sooner for things that would be classed as other health related matters. The following information has been created to give you guidance on how you can speed up your access to alternative options.
1.Think you might be pregnant?
You can buy a home pregnancy testing kit which will give an accurate result after three weeks following unprotected sexual intercourse. If you wish to continue with the pregnancy, please contact your local hospital’s ante-natal department to book in. If you do not wish to continue the pregnancy, please contact the British Pregnancy Advisory Service on 03457 30 40 30 to book an appointment. All this information can be found by following this link:
2. Asymptomatic (no symptoms) Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
If you live in Sefton and would like a check-up without blood tests you can order a self-testing kit to be sent to your home by following this link:
Please note there are currently delays in getting results due to additional demand on laboratory services. Rest assured we will contact you by your chosen method as soon as your results are available. Additional information on STIs can be found here: https://www.seftonsexualhealth.nhs.uk/other-info/stis/
3. Pain when passing urine (no other symptoms)
If you have not had unprotected sex in the last 4 weeks but experience pain or discomfort when going to the toilet we recommend you contact your GP.
4. Think you have developed thrush (candida) or bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
If you have not had unprotected sex in the last 4 weeks but have noticed a new discharge it may be Thrush or BV. The treatments for both of these conditions can be bought over the counter at your local pharmacy. For additional information on symptoms and treatments please follow this link: https://www.seftonsexualhealth.nhs.uk/other-info/stis/thrush-bacterial-vaginosis/
5.Contraception running low?
If you have less than a month’s supply of your usual contraceptive method or you are a month away from your method’s expiry date, please call our Single Point of Access on 01695 656550 to speak to a member of our team. For additional information please follow this link: advice-for-women-seeking-contraception-and-srh-during-covid-by-fsrh
Condoms can be purchased form your local pharmacy/retailers. We will soon be providing a free condom ordering service for 18 years+. Please check back for updates on this additional service.
7. Smear Tests
We are offering a very limited service for smear testing however did you know local practices are working together to offer patients better access to appointments in Sefton through the new service called GP Extra. GP Extra operates Monday to Friday, 5pm – 8pm and Saturdays and Sundays from 10am – 1pm at Litherland Town Hall, Hatton Hill Rd, Liverpool L21 9JL and Monday to Friday, 5pm – 8pm and Saturdays and Sundays from 9am – 12pm at 107 Liverpool Rd, Birkdale, PR8 4DB.
You can book appointments and get more information via your regular GP practice. Simply ask reception staff for details.
8. Making sex safer during COVID-19.
If you are going to have sex, you can make sex even safer for yourself and your partners by:
- Using condoms and dental dams which can reduce contact with sperm (“cum”), saliva (“spit”) and faeces (“poo”) especially during oral and anal sex.
- It’s important to be aware that during the COVID-19 pandemic kissing passed on the virus too. Guidance suggests avoid kissing anyone who is not part of your household.
- Rimming (mouth on anus) is also very likely to spread COVID-19 as the virus in faeces can enter your mouth so you should avoid it during this time.
- Washing hands before and after sex is essential. Wash your hands and sex toys with soap and warm water and do not share sex toys during this time.